Sometimes known as “The First State,” Delaware was the first state to ratify the US Constitution and was one of the original 13 colonies that formed the United States. It is the second smallest state and has one of the smallest populations, but it is one of the most densely populated states. Delaware’s economy is supported by its large chemical industry and substantial manufacturing industry, which produces primarily fibers, textiles, paper, medical supplies, and machinery. Due to its location along the Atlantic Ocean, tourism is a substantial contributor to the state’s income. Delaware is a great place for business owners looking for small and highly specialized markets.
- Delaware only has 134 barbers for its 950,000 residents. That’s over 7,000 thousand heads of hair to cut per barber.
- There were only 4,694 weddings in Delaware in 2015. Of those, 4,459 paid for professional hair styling.
- The state has six times as many US Air Force members as it does firefighters.
- 19,347 people work in banking. That’s almost 5% of the state’s entire workforce.
- Couples spent an average of $495 for wedding limo rentals in 2015.
- In Delaware, more people work with chemicals than as lawyers, car dealers, or amusement parks.
Delaware is known for its business-friendly corporation law, and over 50% of all publicly traded companies in the US incorporate in this small state. It is a strong choice for a small business owner due to its recent economic growth, moderate taxes, and consistent tourism industry. Because of its size, the state is a great place for those who wish to stay within small and intimate markets.
Finding a service provider isn't easy, so we've already put in the time and research for you. Choose your city to see the best businesses in your area and start hiring with confidence.