What Happens if I Overstay My Visa? Staff Profile Picture
Written By:

Entering a foreign country with dreams of new opportunities, many individuals arrive in the United States on various visas, eager to carve out a better future. However, circumstances can change, and sometimes people find themselves in a perplexing situation when their authorized period of stay comes to an end. According to the Department of Homeland Security, approximately 684,500 people overstayed their visas, constituting a substantial portion of the authorized population residing in the country. If you are one of these individuals facing the reality of an overstayed visa, know that you are not alone, and there are steps you can take to address your situation and navigate the path forward. 

What Should I Do if I Overstayed My Visa?

While overstaying a visa can have serious consequences, there are steps you can take to navigate the situation effectively. The following list includes a comprehensive series of actions to consider if you find yourself in this circumstance.

1. Consult an Immigration Attorney

It is highly recommended to seek the advice of an experienced immigration attorney. They can assess the situation, explain the available options, and guide you through the process. In addition, depending on the circumstances, there may be legal remedies to address the overstay. For example, if you're eligible, you can apply for a change of status, adjustment of status, or asylum. Regardless, an immigration attorney can provide personalized advice based on your circumstances.

2. Consider Voluntary Departure

If the overstay is relatively short and you want to leave the country immediately, you can contact your country’s consulate or embassy for assistance. By doing so, you may be able to obtain a travel document and return home without the need for formal deportation proceedings.

3. Maintain Accurate Records

It is crucial to keep records of all communication with immigration authorities, including proof of entry into the United States, original visa documentation, extensions or status changes, and correspondence with relevant authorities. These records can help demonstrate your intentions, actions, and history while in the country and can therefore be vital in building a case.

4. Do Not Overstay Further

Continuing to stay in the country beyond the authorized period can further complicate the situation and may result in more severe consequences. However, by taking prompt action, consulting with an immigration attorney, and exploring appropriate legal remedies, you can work towards resolving your immigration status and mitigating potential negative consequences.

Consequences of Overstaying Your U.S. Visa

Overstaying a visa can have far-reaching implications, affecting various aspects of an individual's life. From legal consequences to limitations on future immigration opportunities, the fallout of an overstayed visa can be nerve-racking. By familiarizing yourself with these consequences, you can take informed steps to address your situation and explore potential avenues for resolution.

Deportation and Removal Proceedings

If immigration authorities discover the overstay, you might be placed in deportation or removal proceedings. This can lead to a formal hearing before an immigration judge, where you must present your case for staying in the country. If the judge orders your removal, you may be required to leave the United States and possibly face additional consequences, such as being subject to a reentry bar.

Ineligibility for Future Immigration Benefits

Overstaying a visa can make you ineligible for certain immigration benefits in the future, such as adjusting your status to permanent residency or obtaining a new visa. Immigration authorities scrutinize previous immigration history, and a history of overstating can raise concerns about your intentions to comply with visa regulations. It may result in increased scrutiny, denials, or requests for additional documentation in future visa applications.

Bars on Reentry

If someone overstays their visa for a certain period of time and then departs the United States, they may be subject to a bar on reentry. The length of the bar depends on the duration of the overstay. For example, an overstay of more than 180 days but less than one year may result in a three-year bar on reentry. An overstay of one year or more can result in a 10-year ban on reentry. 

Limited Employment Opportunities

Overstaying a visa can restrict employment opportunities in the United States. Employers are required to verify employees' work eligibility, and individuals without a valid immigration status may face challenges in securing reliable and lawful employment. 

Impact on Credit and Financial Matters

Beyond immigration, overstaying a visa can affect your ability to establish credit or engage in certain financial transactions, as you might lack the necessary identification or legal status required for such activities. For example, things like opening a bank account, obtaining credit cards or loans, applying for a mortgage, or securing insurance will become difficult without proper identification in the United States. 

How Does Immigration Know if I Overstayed My Visa?

There are a few ways that immigration authorities can determine if someone has overstayed their visa. For example, when you enter the United States on a visa, your passport is scanned at the port of entry, creating an electronic record of your arrival. Similarly, when you depart, your departure is recorded. By comparing these records, immigration authorities can determine if you have overstayed your visa.

Additionally, immigration authorities may reference your visa application information to check details about your intended stay. This information is stored in immigration databases and can be used to verify the duration of your authorized stay.

Valid Reasons for Visa Overstays

While overstaying a visa in the United States is generally considered a violation of immigration laws, there are certain circumstances in which individuals may be eligible for a waiver. These waivers are granted on a case-by-case basis, and the decision ultimately rests with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). 

However, it should be emphasized that waivers are not automatically granted, and each case is evaluated on its merits. You must provide evidence and supporting documentation to demonstrate your eligibility for a waiver. It is advisable to consult with an immigration attorney who can provide guidance specific to your situation and help you navigate the waiver application process.

Here are some valid reasons that could potentially lead to a waiver:

Extraordinary Circumstances

If you demonstrate that you had compelling circumstances beyond your control that prevented you from departing the country before your visa expired, such as a severe illness or injury, natural disaster, or political instability in your home country, you may be eligible for a waiver. 

Family Emergency

Suppose you had a genuine and verifiable family emergency, such as an immediate family member's severe illness or death and could not leave the United States within the authorized period. In that case, you may qualify for a waiver.

Humanitarian Reasons

You can establish that returning to your home country would subject you to extreme hardship, such as persecution, violence, or other severe conditions. In that case, you may be eligible for a waiver based on humanitarian grounds.

Changes in Personal Circumstances

If you experienced a significant change in your circumstances after entering the United States, such as getting married to a U.S. citizen or being a victim of domestic violence, you may be able to request a waiver based on these factors.

What Is Unlawful Presence?

Unlawful presence refers to the period of time when an individual remains in the United States without legal status or after the expiration of their authorized stay. If you remain in the country beyond the authorized period stated on your visa, you begin to accrue unlawful presence from the date your visa expires.

Other circumstances that can be categorized as unlawful presence include instances of unauthorized entry — like crossing the border illegally — and individuals from specific countries who overstay the 90-day period granted by the Visa Waiver Program. 

Exemptions from Unlawful Presence Accrual

There are certain circumstances under which individuals may be exempt from accruing unlawful presence despite being present in the United States without lawful status. These exemptions are defined in U.S. immigration law and can relieve the negative consequences typically associated with unlawful presence. 


Individuals who are under the age of 18 are not considered to be accruing unlawful presence.

Pending asylum application

Suppose you have filed an application for asylum in the United States, and it is still pending with USCIS or the immigration court. In that case, you are generally not considered to be accruing unlawful presence during the pendency of your application.

Pending U visa or T visa application

Victims of certain crimes (U visa) or human trafficking (T visa) who have filed an application for these forms of relief and have it pending with USCIS are typically exempt from accruing unlawful presence.

Deferred action

If you have been granted Deferred Action by USCIS, such as through the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, you are generally not accruing unlawful presence during the period of deferred action. 

Temporary Protected Status

If you are a national of a country designated for Temporary Protected Status (TPS) by the U.S. government, and you have been granted TPS, you are not considered to be accruing unlawful presence during the valid period of your TPS.

What is Overstay Forgiveness?

The term “overstay forgiveness” is often used to refer to certain forms of relief or waivers available to individuals who have overstayed their authorized period of stay in the United States. These waivers or forms of relief allow individuals to address their unlawful presence and potentially avoid or mitigate the associated penalties and consequences. 

Some potential avenues for addressing overstays include the following:


Certain waivers, such as the I-601A Provisional Unlawful Presence Waiver or the I-601 Extreme Hardship Waiver, may be available to individuals who can demonstrate that their removal or inadmissibility would cause extreme hardship to their U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident spouse, parent, or child. These waivers are often used in the context of family-based immigration processes.

Adjustment of Status

If you are eligible for adjustment of status, such as through marriage to a U.S. citizen or specific employment-based categories, you may be able to address your overstay by applying for lawful permanent residency (a green card) while in the United States.

Cancellation of Removal

In certain circumstances, individuals in removal proceedings who have accrued a certain period of continuous physical presence in the United States and can demonstrate other specific requirements may be eligible for cancellation of removal, allowing them to remain in the country.

How to Apply for Overstay Forgiveness

1. Consult with an Immigration Attorney

An experienced immigration attorney can assess your circumstances, advise you on the available options, and guide you through the application process. Check out this lawyer directory, which features top-ranked immigration lawyers searchable by metro.

2. Determine Eligibility

Your attorney will review your immigration history, personal circumstances, and any potential grounds for relief. Then, they will assess whether you meet the eligibility criteria for specific waivers, such as the I-601A Provisional Unlawful Presence Waiver or the I-601 Extreme Hardship Waiver, based on your family situation, home country conditions, affidavits, and other relevant evidence depending on the specific waiver or relief you are seeking.

3. Prepare Supporting Documents

Your attorney will assist you in gathering the necessary documentation to support your application. This may include evidence of family relationships, medical records, financial documents, country condition reports, and affidavits.

4. Complete and Submit the Application

Your attorney will help you complete the required application forms accurately and thoroughly. They will ensure that all necessary information is provided, and any supporting documents are adequately included. After the application is completed, your attorney will guide you through the process of submitting it to the appropriate government agency, such as USCIS or the immigration court, depending on the type of relief sought.

5. Attend Interviews and Hearings

You may sometimes be required to attend interviews or hearings as part of the application process. Your attorney will prepare you for these proceedings and represent your interests before immigration officials or the immigration court.

How much does it cost to file for overstay forgiveness?

The costs associated with filing for relief or a waiver due to overstay will vary depending on several factors, including the type of relief sought, the complexity of the case, and the fees set by the U.S. government. 

Here's a comprehensive breakdown of the fees and associated costs you can expect to encounter:

Attorney’s Fees

If you choose to work with an immigration attorney, their fees will vary based on their experience, location, and the complexity of your case. Depending on the services provided, attorney's fees can range from a few hundred to several thousand dollars or more.

Government Filing Fees

Each application or petition submitted to the U.S. government typically requires a filing fee. For example, the filing fee for Form I-601A, Provisional Unlawful Presence Waiver, is $630, while the filing fee for Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility, is $930.

Some individuals may qualify for a fee waiver, or a reduced fee based on their financial circumstances. USCIS provides guidelines and instructions on how to request a fee waiver.

Translation and Document Preparation

If any of your supporting documents, such as birth certificates or marriage certificates, are not in English, you may need to have them translated, which may incur additional costs. Similarly, there may be associated fees if you need assistance in preparing or notarizing documents.

Share Staff Profile Picture StaffAuthor

Step into the world of, your go-to hub for credible insights. We don't take accuracy lightly around here. Our squad of expert reviewers, each a maestro in their field, has given the green light to every single article you'll find. From rigorous fact-checking to meticulous evaluations of service providers, we've got it all covered. So feel free to dive in and explore. The information you'll uncover has been stamped with the seal of approval by our top-notch experts.