Last updated:

Best Tax Attorneys in Salem

Our Recommended Top 4

We did the research for you!

  • Licensing
  • User Reviews
  • Mystery Shopping Calls

Our goal is to connect people with the best local professionals. We scored Salem Tax Attorneys on more than 25 variables across five categories, and analyzed the results to give you a hand-picked list of the best.



4Top Picks

Learn about our selection process.


featured provider = Featured Provider

1900 Hines St, SE Ste 110, Salem, OR 97302 Rating

Why choose this provider?

Stern Law caters to clients in Salem who have tax law concerns. The criminal defense firm works with those who have been accused of tax fraud and white-collar offenses. Its penal law scope extends to cases of welfare fraud, possession of a controlled substance, and sodomy. The office also takes on post-conviction and appellate processes. Counsel Zachary J. Stern is experienced in complex appeal and trial matters before federal and state courts. He is part of the Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association.

  • Criminal Tax Audit

495 State Street NE, Suite 541, Salem, OR 97301 Rating

Review Sources

4.2 (19)
4.8 (3)

Why choose this provider?

Tonkon Torp LLP is a general practice law firm that assists Salem residents. Its lawyers provide clients with tax-related advice on various topics, such as investment and research credits, domestic and international joint ventures, company creation, employee stock ownership schemes, and tax-qualified retirement plans. Additionally, they represent clients in tax audits and court cases against the IRS and state taxing authorities. Tonkon Torp has served several industries, including auto dealerships, construction, insurance, healthcare providers, sports and entertainment, and real estate.

  • Tax Defense

3550 Liberty Rd S., Suite 290, Salem, OR 97302

Why choose this provider?

Jamieson Law Firm offers its services to clients in Salem, formulating complex tax plans for business entities and aiming to reduce the revenue dues owed to collection agencies. The office restructures existing organizations to reduce the impact of taxes. It also works on issues related to the lease and sale of real estate assets. The company was established in 2018. Its counsel, Eric Jamieson, is licensed in two states and has been a lawyer since 1999.

345 Lincoln Street SE, Salem, OR 97302 Rating

Review Sources

4.7 (28)

Why choose this provider?

Kennedy Tax Solutions provides legal services in and around Salem to individuals and companies. The legal team handles tax law matters, which include drafting unfiled tax returns, wage garnishments, liens and levies, innocent spouse relief, criminal tax defense, and IRS litigation. The organization assists taxpayers, who have legitimate reasons for being unable to pay, in receiving IRS settlements to avoid penalties. Founding attorney Dale R. Kennedy established the firm in 1992. He is also a CPA.

  • Tax Defense
  • Release of Tax Lien

Disclaimer:  Consumers utilizing are free to communicate and contract with any lawyer they choose. is not involved in the confidential attorney-client relationship. Featured lawyers pay a reasonable advertising cost to market their legal services with and must meet similar selection criteria as other lawyers. All cases are different. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.


  • Where does the Tax Court hold trial sessions closest to Salem, Oregon?

    Oregon does not have a permanent courtroom for the Tax Court’s sessions. Salem residents will be notified about the venue of their hearing through the notice of trial.

  • Where is the low-income taxpayer clinic that is closest to Salem, Oregon?

    Three low-income taxpayer clinics in Portland serve Salem residents: Legal Aid Services of Oregon LITC (503-224-4086); Lewis & Clark Low Income Taxpayer Clinic (503-768-6500); Oregon Law Center LITC (800-672-4919).

  • If you’re in the military but are a non-Oregon resident stationed in Salem, will your military pay get taxed?

    Oregon does not impose taxes on pay for military personnel stationed in Salem. The same goes for your spouse who works in the state; their income will not be taxed either. However, you must submit Form OR-40-N, Individual Income Tax Return for Non-Residents, if you or your spouse have other income sources, such as wages from off-duty work, earnings from an Oregon business, or profits from a rental property.

  • What will happen if you can’t pay your taxes in full in Salem?

    Oregon’s tax laws have provisions for individuals in Salem who cannot pay their balance in full. If you are facing financial hardship and can’t pay your taxes, do not ignore your obligation. You are allowed to pay what you can until you receive a bill from the Oregon Department of Revenue. You may be offered a payment plan of up to 36 months.

  • How will you obtain your money if you move to a different state after filing a tax return in Salem?

    After requesting a tax refund in Salem, the post office might have returned your check as undeliverable if you moved to a different state or a new address without informing the Oregon Department of Revenue. Call the Oregon Department of Revenue at 503-378-4988 or 800-356-4222 to make sure your check is delivered.

  • What are the common defenses lawyers use for tax evasion cases in Salem?

    In Salem, tax attorneys use the following defenses for clients accused of tax evasion. These defenses include proving a lack of evidence showing the client acted with intent, demonstrating that the client made an honest mistake, and checking whether there’s a breach of the statute of limitations. They are experienced in defending their clients against tax evasion charges. They look into the unique details of one’s case and build a solid defense for the best possible outcome.

  • Are you required to answer questions asked by the IRS in Salem?

    If you are facing trouble with the IRS in Salem, you have the right to refuse to answer their questions or decline to provide documents that the agency asks for unless a court order exists. However, without your cooperation and full disclosure of your information, your case cannot be resolved. So, before you respond to any questions from the IRS, it would be wise to seek the guidance of a tax attorney to help you understand the proper course of action when dealing with IRS agents.