Last updated:

Best Tax Attorneys in Independence

Our Recommended Top 4

We did the research for you!

  • Licensing
  • User Reviews
  • Mystery Shopping Calls

Our goal is to connect people with the best local professionals. We scored Independence Tax Attorneys on more than 25 variables across five categories, and analyzed the results to give you a hand-picked list of the best.



4Top Picks

Learn about our selection process.


featured provider = Featured Provider

601 NW Jefferson Street, Blue Springs, MO 64014 Rating

Why choose this provider?

Oswald Rew LLC serves public agencies, individuals, and businesses in and around Independence. The office provides legal counsel on various tax-related matters, such as offers in compromise, sales and income tax disputes, audit defense, return preparation, and payroll tax issues. Its team of attorneys handles tax planning for limited liability companies, corporations, and partnerships. They leverage over 50 years of collective industry experience to represent clients in settlement negotiations and litigation, if necessary. They have worked with those in the education, government, and real estate industries.

  • Tax Defense

2641 NE McBaine Dr., Lee's Summit,, MO 64064 Rating

Review Sources

5.0 (6)
5.0 (5)

Why choose this provider?

Moehlman Law Firm serves the people of Independence and neighboring regions. It offers tax preparation services for individuals, small businesses, and nonprofit organizations. Its legal professionals analyze clients' financial situations or organizational structure to identify practices that mitigate their tax exposure going forward. The team also protects the rights and interests of taxpayers with controversies regarding IRS actions, including audits, late tax returns, and tax debts. Jason Moehlman, the firm's lead attorney, has a Master of Laws in Taxation.

  • Cash Intensive Businesses
  • State Tax Audit

1000 E. U.S. Hwy 24, Independence, MO 64050 Rating

Why choose this provider?

Raymond E. Moore, PC, serves individuals and businesses in Independence and its nearby communities. The office provides legal counsel on tax-related matters, such as installment agreements, audits, tax controversy and collection, and offers in compromise. Founding partners Lee A. Moore and Raymond E. Moore are certified public accountants who leverage over 25 years of combined industry experience to represent clients before the Internal Revenue Service and the U.S. Tax Court. They also help them prepare fiduciary and estate tax returns.

  • State Tax Audit
  • Tax Defense

107 W 9th St 2nd Fl #0449, Kansas City, MO 64105

Why choose this provider?

Kentner Law handles the tax law concerns of the residents of Independence. It takes on the taxation aspects of estate planning and represents those who face IRS audits, levies, and garnishments. The team makes offers in compromise and seeks relief for innocent spouses. It also works on personal injury matters and seeks damages for clients hurt by the negligence of others. Counsel Jace Kentner has been in the legal profession for more than 26 years.

  • Tax Defense

Disclaimer:  Consumers utilizing are free to communicate and contract with any lawyer they choose. is not involved in the confidential attorney-client relationship. Featured lawyers pay a reasonable advertising cost to market their legal services with and must meet similar selection criteria as other lawyers. All cases are different. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.


  • Where does the Tax Court hold trial sessions closest to Independence, Missouri?

    For tax cases in Independence, the United States Tax Court holds trial sessions in Room 1010 of the Whittaker US Courthouse in Kansas City. The exact location of the courthouse is 400 East 9th St., Kansas City, MO 64106.

  • Where is the low-income taxpayer clinic that is closest to Independence, Missouri?

    A low-income taxpayer clinic in the area is located at 19408 East 14th Street North, Independence, Missouri, 64056-1298. It is a privately held company established in 2005.

  • Will you be notified by the IRS before they take your property in Independence?

    Yes. The IRS is legally required to notify you before they can seize your property in Independence. The first notice you will receive is a balance-due notice to inform you of your tax debt and the payment terms. If you fail to respond to the notice or pay the tax debt, you will receive another series of notices, including a Final Notice of Intent to Levy and a Notice of Your Right to a Hearing. These notices provide one last opportunity to resolve your tax debt before the IRS resorts to property seizure.

  • How are penalties calculated if you fail to file a tax return or pay your taxes on time in Independence?

    The IRS will impose financial penalties if you fail to file a tax return or pay your taxes on time in Independence. Late filing and late payment penalties can range from 0.05% to 25% of your unpaid tax debt per month. These penalties can increase based on how many months you have failed to pay your tax dues.

  • Can you seek relief from IRS penalties in Independence?

    Yes. You can get your IRS penalties in Independence reduced or removed under several circumstances. The IRS offers three penalty relief provisions that you can consider: First Time Penalty Abate and Administrative Waiver, Reasonable Cause, and Statutory Exception. Consult with a tax attorney to determine which type of penalty relief is most suitable for your situation.

  • How much time does it take before an Offer in Compromise is granted to a taxpayer in Independence?

    In most cases in Independence, the usual duration for a taxpayer to get an Offer in Compromise is at least 12 months. Some cases may take longer to process. This is because the IRS needs to examine a taxpayer’s past, current, and future financial situation before the organization can accept an Offer in Compromise.

  • Can you pay your delinquent taxes through monthly payments in Independence?

    Yes, you may pay your delinquent taxes through monthly payments in Independence through an Installment Agreement with the IRS. The IRS will provide you with the payment amount and the timeframe for your agreement. This agreement will only be available to you if you have been compliant with your previous taxes.